To update the router’s firmware using the Netgear Genie, the software on the computer must be the latest. Don’t forget to check whether the router is compatible with the Netgear genie software or not. The list of supported devices can be seen online from the support page.
Steps to update the router firmware using genie software are:
- Open the Netgear Genie software and go to ‘Router settings’.
- Click on the Netgear Genie Login Setup settings page, you need to enter the username and password.
- The default username and password is ‘Admin’ and ‘Password’. If the default details are not working, then you might have changed it earlier. You can either restore to the factory default or reset the password.
- After login, you will be directed to the ‘Wireless settings’ of your router. Click on arrows from the right corner of the screen. Go to the ‘Router update’.
- Press ‘Next’ to check the firmware availability. If there is any firmware available, then you will find it on the screen. Click on the link to start downloading it. If no update is available, then the same message will be displayed.
- You will get information related to the manual update of firmware. The browser will automatically launch the www.mywifiext.net extender login page.
- After login to the settings page, go to ‘Firmware update is available’. The router will now try to connect to Netgear servers. After it is done, you will find the prompt message, click ‘Yes’ to confirm.
- The router will download the firmware and start uploading the firmware on the router after the downloading process gets concluded.
- After the whole process gets completed, the router will restart. Once the router restarts, you can check the version of firmware from the Genie page.
This is how you can perform the firmware update on your router using the Netgear Genie software. If you are still having any doubts or queries, feel free to contact the support team.